Spinach & Grapefruit Salad Recipe
Makes: 6 servings
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- 3 medium grapefruits
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp coarse grain mustard
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 3/4 lb spinach, washed and torn
- 1/2 small jicama, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add poppy seeds and toast, stirring constantly, until aromatic, 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- Working over a small bowl to catch the juice, remove skin and white pith from grapefruit. Cut into segments from surrounding membrane. Measure 1/3 cup of the juice and set aside.
- Put garlic cloves in small saucepan with a small amount of water. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 3 minutes until tender. Drain.
- In a blender, combine vinegar, oil, mustard, honey, cooked garlic and reserved grapefruit juice. Blend until creamy. Season with pepper.
- In a salad bowl, combine spinach, jicama, onions, and grapefruit sections. Drizzle with the dressing and toss. Sprinkle with poppy seeds and serve.
Nutrition Per Serving: 160 Calories, 5 g Fat (<1 g Sat), 28 g Carbohydrates, 0 mg Cholesterol, 110 mg Sodium, 3 g Protein, 11 g Dietary Fiber
Recipe by fruitsandveggiesmorematters.com