Bartlett pears are a good source of fiber and Vitamin C. They are naturally low in fat, saturated fat free, very low in sodium and cholesterol free!
How to Select
Chose firm pears, then “Check the Neck for Ripeness”™ daily by applying gentle pressure to the stem end of the pear with your thumb. When it yields to the pressure, it’s ready to eat.
How to Store
Store unripened pears in paper bag at room temperature. Refrigerate ripe pears.
5 Ways to Enjoy Bartlett Pears in the Fall!
- In a sweet soup! Check out fruitsandveggiesmorematters.com for a tasty sweet potato-pear soup recipe!
- Poach them. Poached pears can be eaten as a nutritious dessert!
- Pair Pear with Cheese. You can serve pear slices with cheddar as an appetizer or make a grilled cheese Panini with cheddar and pear!
- Top your salad! Toss pear into your salad for a burst of flavor! Get the taste of fall with pears and pumpkin seeds on a bed of arugula.
- Make into a Chutney. Season a pear chutney with warm flavors, like nutmeg and cinnamon. It will complement savory dishes, like grilled pork, chicken or fish, well.