Wild Mushroom & Barley Risotto Recipe
Makes: 6 servings, 1 ¼ cups each
Total Time: 1 hour
- 6 cups vegetable, mushroom or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups mixed wild mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups pearl barley, rinsed
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 6 cups baby arugula
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring broth and water to a simmer in a large saucepan. Adjust heat to maintain a steady simmer.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they begin to release their juices, 2 to 3 minutes. Add barley and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add wine and simmer, stirring, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 1 minute more. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add 1/2 cup hot broth to the barley and cook, stirring, until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Continue adding 1/2 cup hot broth at a time and stirring until the liquid has been absorbed after each addition, adjusting the heat to maintain a gentle simmer, until the barley is tender and creamy but still somewhat firm, 35 to 45 minutes. (You might not use all the broth.)
- Stir in arugula and cook, stirring, until it is wilted, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese, butter and vinegar. Season with pepper.
Nutrition Per serving : 321 Calories; 9 g Fat; 3 g Sat; 4 g Mono; 9 mg Cholesterol; 48 g Carbohydrates; 9 g Protein; 10 g Fiber; 543 mg Sodium; 373 mg Potassium
Recipe and photo by Eatingwell.com