Fat free; saturated fat free; cholesterol free; low sodium and an excellent source of folate.
How to Select
Choose beets with firm, smooth skin. Beets that are smaller are more tender.
How to Store
Remove leaves and store roots in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Wash before cooking.
Servings: 6 Preparation Time: 40 Min Calories/Serving: 143
• 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled & sliced
• 3 organic beets, peeled, scrubbed, trimmed, and cut in half.
• 6 radishes, sliced
• 2 scallions, diagonally sliced
• 2½ tbsp vinegar
• 2½ tbsp olive oil
• ¼ cup apple juice
• ¼ tsp ground allspice
• ¼ tsp red pepper sauce
• ⅛ tsp salt
• ⅛ tsp black pepper
Place beets into a saucepan, and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until tender. Drain and cool, then julienne beets.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, beets, radishes and scallions
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, apple juice and allspice; season with salt and pepper and drizzle over apple mixture
- Toss evenly until coated and refrigerate before serving