How to Select
Look for firm onions without decay or blemishes. There should be no sprouts attached and the skins should be dry.
How to Store
Store Vidalia onions at room temperature in the legs of clean, sheer pantyhose. Hang in a cool, dry, well ventilated area on elevated racks or screens. In the refrigerator, wrap individually in paper towels for up to 6 months. Vidalia onions can also be frozen, either whole or chopped. Frozen onions should be used only for cooking purposes.
Vidalia onions are fat free, saturated fat free, cholesterol free, sodium free, a good source of vitamin C and chromium.
Apple Pear-Cucumber Salad
Servings: 4 Preparation Time: 15 Min Calories/Serving: 165
- 2 tart, crunchy apples
- 1 red or green Pear
- 1 cucumber (seedless or seeded)
- 1 Vidalia onion
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped (can use 2 tsp dried)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the Dressing:
Mix together the mustard, dill, sugar and oil. Set aside.
For the Salad:
- Core and slice apples and pears into thin slices, leaving skin on for color, flavor, and nutrition.
- Slice and peel cucumber. Is using cucumber with seeds, cut in half lengthwise, scrape seeds out, and cut into half-moon slices.
- Slice onion any way you like. Add all items to bowl with dressing and toss to coat.