Mini San Marzano Tomatoes
San Marzano Tomato
The San Marzano is an heirloom variety Roma tomato that is meatier and naturally sweeter than regular tomatoes and contains fewer seeds. This variety, whose lineage can be traced to a small Italian town of San Marzano near Naples, has a distinctive pear shape, thin skin, and rich flavor.
How to Store
Store tomatoes at room temperature away from direct sunlight, use within one week after ripe. Tomatoes taste best if not refrigerated; refrigerate only if you can’t use them before they spoil.
How to Select
Choose tomatoes with bright, shiny skins and firm flesh.
Tomatoes are low fat, saturated fat free, very low in sodium, cholesterol free, and low in calories. They are also high in vitamin A, high in vitamin C, and a good source of potassium.
Simple Tomato Salad
Servings: 4 Preparation Time: 15 Min Calories/Serving: 164
- 2 – 3 cups quartered Mini San Marzano Tomatoes
- ¼ cup thinly chopped shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- handful fresh basil
- handful fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- Combine tomatoes, shallots, garlic, basil and parsley together in a bowl. Mix well.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Let stand at room temperature for about an hour. Serve.