Varieties of Fig
Brown Turkey Figs – The fruit is medium to large in size, and sports a reddish-brown skin tinted with a deep purple hue. The meat of the fruit is a deep pinkish-red.
Green Mission Figs – Green figs are generally larger and plumper than black figs. When ripe, the figs will be pale lime green.
Black Mission Figs – Are very rich in color and known for their deep purple color which turns black as they are dried.
How to Select
Select figs that are clean and dry, with smooth, unbroken skin. The fruit should be soft and yielding to the touch, but not mushy.
How to Store
Keep figs in a plastic bag in the coldest part of your refrigerator. Use within two days.
Celery Stuffed with Fig Blue Cheese Spread
Servings: 4 Preparation Time: 15 Min Calories/Serving: 140
- 2 tbsp crumbled blue cheese, reduced fat
- 3 tbsp cream cheese, fat free
- ½ cup plain yogurt, fat free
- 2 figs of your choice, chopped
- 4 dried apricots, chopped
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- 8 stalks celery
- With a fork and hand mixer, mix blue cheese, cream cheese and yogurt until smooth. Stir in chopped dried apricot, figs and pecans.
- Refrigerate spread until ready for use.
- Slice celery stalks into 3-to 4-inch sticks. Fill celery pieces with spread.