Squash is fat free; cholesterol free; sodium free; a good source of fiber, potassium, magnesium, vitamin A and vitamin C.
How to Select
Choose squash that is heavy for its size and free of bruises.
How to Store
Store squash in a cool, dark place for up to one month; refrigerate unused portions.
Butternut Squash with Black Beans
Servings: 6 Preparation Time: 30 Min Calories/serving: 120
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cans (16 oz) Black beans, low sodium, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Heat squash in the microwave on high heat for 1-2 minutes to soften the skin.
- Carefully peel the squash with a vegetable peeler or small knife. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Peel and chop the onion.
- In large pan, heat oil. Add onion, garlic powder, and squash. Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add vinegar and water. Cook on low heat till the squash is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the beans and oregano. Cook until beans are heated through. Serve.