Apples are fat free, cholesterol free, sodium free, an excellent source of fiber, vitamins A and C.
How to Select
Choose persimmons that are smooth, brightly colored, plump, glossy, and well-rounded and with their leaf still attached. Avoid cracks and bruises. Yellow patches indicate unripe fruit.
How to Store
Ripen persimmons at room temperature until they are soft. Once ripe refrigerate for up to 3 days.
5 Ways to Enjoy Persimmons in the Fall!
- Fruit Salad. Combine persimmons, grapes, pomegranate seeds, apple cubes, and sliced green kiwi to create a bright salad for a snack … or even a hot oatmeal topping.
- A Treat for One! Blend 2 persimmons with 1 cup (8 oz) coconut milk and a pinch of ground ginger.
- Add a Little Lime. Slice persimmons and spread with lime juice, salt, and chili powder. Enjoy with a slice of cheese or spread with peanut butter.
- Sweet Gazpacho. Finely dice fresh persimmons, cucumbers, green onion, green peppers and other favorite vegetables. Add to tomato juice with 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil and a splash of cider vinegar.
- Peel & Slice. Enjoy persimmons as nature intended, right off the tree!