Quinoa Stuffed Peppers Recipe
Makes: 4 Peppers
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: ~50 minutes
- 4 red bell peppers, seeds removed, tops removed & set aside for later use
1 (15-ounce) can white northern beans, rinsed well and dried
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked (yields ~ 2cups cooked)
- 2 ½ cups mushrooms, chopped thick
- 1 cup Spanish yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste, no added salt
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, roughly chopped (~1 T dried)
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic (~1 large clove)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Follow instructions on the box to cook quinoa. (Tip: cooks like rice! 1 part grain to 2 parts water!)
- In a large pan, heat ½ tablespoon of olive oil over low heat. Add garlic to infuse oil. In about a minute, add onions. Sweat the onions for about a few minutes or until they begin to look translucent.
- Add mushrooms and continue to cook until soft.
- Add all remaining ingredients with exception to the peppers and parmesan cheese (This includes the beans, kale, tomato paste, red wine vinegar, the remaining ½ tablespoon of olive oil, basil, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Turn up heat to medium and continue to simmer for about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Stuff peppers with even amounts. Top off with even amounts of parmesan cheese. Place tops back on and arrange the peppers in a 2-3-inch deep pan. Cook for about 40 minutes or until the pepper is cooked to your liking (I like mine slightly charred!)
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: 365 Calories, 8 g Fat (1.5 g Sat Fat), 5.5 mg Cholesterol, 156 mg Sodium, 58 g Carbohydrate, 11.5 g Fiber, 18 g Protein
Recipe by Domenica Toscani, DTR