Purple Sweet Potatoes
Purple sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin C and also provide fiber (the skin is edible too!)
How to Cook
Scrub external skin and wrap potatoes in aluminum foil after rubbing with olive oil. Place wrapped potatoes on a baking tray and bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 2 hours (bigger potatoes take longer). The dense flesh of this potato takes a bit longer to cook than most other sweet potatoes. Potatoes can also be steamed, boiled or toasted.
How to Store
Keep in a cool dry place and use within 2 weeks.
Stokrs Purple Sweet Potato Latkes
Servings: 4 Calories/Serving: 230
- 2 large Stokes purple sweet potatoes
- ½ yellow onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ salt
- Grapeseed or canola oil, for pan frying
- Peel sweet potatoes with vegetable peeler, then grate or shred. Put grated sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Grate onion the same way and add to bowl. Add beaten egg, flour, and salt to sweet potato mixture; combine thoroughly with a spoon.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet (preferably cast iron or nonstick) over medium-low heat about 3 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons oil; wait 1 more minute for oil to heat up. Drop heaping tablespoons of sweet potato mixture into skillet, flattening them with the back of the spoon. Fry the latkes about 4 minutes on each side, until they are golden brown and sweet potatoes are cooked through. Drain briefly on paper towels before transferring to serving plate. Serve hot with unsweetened applesauce or light sour cream.