How to Select
Choose tomatoes with bright, shiny skins and firm flesh. Heirloom tomatoes are known to be big, juicy and flavorful.
How to Store
Store tomatoes at room temperature away from direct sunlight, use within a week after ripe. Tomatoes taste best if not refrigerated, refrigerate only if you can’t use them before they spoil.
Tomatoes are low fat, saturated fat free, very low in sodium, cholesterol free, and low in calories. They are also high in vitamin A, vitamin C, and a good source of fiber.
Tomato Quinoa Salad with Corn and Peas
Servings: 4 Preparation Time: 20 Min
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15 oz.) corn, drained
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 4 oz. fresh low-fat mozzarella, diced
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Add quinoa and water to medium pot and bring it to a boil. Cover, then reduce heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit covered for 5 minutes.
- Place into large bowl and fluff with a fork. Let cool.
- Add corn, peas, onions, tomato, cheese, parsley, lemon juice and olive oil. Gently toss mixture until combined.