Moroccan Turkey Meatballs with Barley & Lentils
Turkey Mole Fajita Bowls
Prep time: 30
Cook Time: 20
- 1 large egg
- 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- ½ small white onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup low sodium marinara pasta sauce
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup mild harissa or 2 tablespoons chili powder and 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce.
- 1 package (8.5 ounces) microwaveable organic barley & lentils
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line rimmed baking pan with foil; spray with cooking spray. In large bowl, lightly beat egg; gently mix in turkey, carrot, onion, breadcrumbs, garlic powder and ¼ teaspoon salt until just combined. Makes about 4 cups.
- Form turkey mixture into 1½-inch meatballs; place 1 inch apart on prepared pan. Bake meatballs 20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°. Makes about 24 meatballs.
- In medium saucepan, heat sauce, raisins and harissa to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally; add meatballs and toss gently.
- Prepare barley & lentils as label directs; serve meatball mixture over barley & lentils.
Per serving (6 meatballs, ½ cup barley & lentils): 393 Calories, 18g Fat (4g Saturated), 141mg Cholesterol, 643mg Sodium, 28g Carbohydrates, 4g Fiber, 11g Sugars, 1g Added Sugars, 31g Protein
Dietitian Tip: Cut prep time by purchasing pre-chopped carrot and onion.
Chef Tip: For a freezer-friendly dish, prepare recipe through step 2. Toss baked meatballs with sauce, raisins and harissa in a large bowl; transfer to a 2½-quart baking dish and cool slightly. Cover dish tightly with plastic wrap then foil, and freeze up to 2 months. To bake meatballs, preheat oven to 375°; remove plastic wrap and foil. Bake meatballs from frozen, tightly covered with foil, 1 hour or until internal temperature reaches 165°.